Here is the sentence prompt: I'd told myself I would never come back here again... yet here I am.
And the picture:
![]() |
| Isn't it gorgeous??? =) |
I'd told myself I would never come back here again...
yet here I am.
I hold the lantern up, waiting. Watching.
I stand in the boat, the water surrounds me. I watch
for any glimpse of life.
He has to come. But, he never does.
I sigh. What if he tried to trick me all those years
ago saying that he’d come? That he’d come back and be here for me?
I lower the lamp just a bit, my hope was only a
flicker now. But I had to keep waiting, keep watching for a glimpse of him.
He said so many years ago he’d come. He also said it’d
be on a night like now. Where the moon is full, the water crystal, and the
stars shine like never before.
I hear a rustle in the distance. Could it be?
I stare all the harder into the forest that is at the
edge of the water. Is he finally home?
I do not dare whisper the word that I long to say.
But, then I hear the rustle come even closer to the water’s
edge.
My eyes widen. It has to be.
I cannot hold it back any longer, “Papa?”
The whisper shakes the silence—the rustle too. It
stops.
Please, no.
I hear the rustle start again after many moments. But
this time it is so slow, as if someone drags themselves to the edge.
I bring the lantern up to my face. Please.
I finally see a figure at the water’s edge, “Cynthia?”
I smile. It has to be Papa.
“Papa!” I shout.
I row the boat as fast as I possibly dare. When I jump
out, I don’t see him. Anywhere.
“Papa?”
An arrow slices the air, inches from my face.
“Your papa’s dead, Cynthia.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is 299 words. =)
Hope you like it!! =)
abrielle lindsay


So sad, but so good! Great job, TW!
ReplyDeleteIn Christ,
Sarah