Thursday, August 14, 2014

Monday's Minutes Challenge

Hiiii. Yes I am a bit behind on the August Blogging Challenge (and I'll try to catch up, I PROMISE) and I haven't posted about my weekend yet (still waiting on those pictures...). BUT I FOUND 1 GIRL NATION!! They are like the next best thing (right after Christina Grimmie...)

ANNNYWAY, MMC :)

This week I am going to use the picture prompt:

My entry:

Glancing over my shoulder, the slaves scraped the dirt into blucks with their bare fingers.
My work was easy, because Papa was dead. But why did anyone have to do any work at all?
Papa used to say that when he was a boy, all of the Americans were free.
Everyone could do what they wanted.
He said that 2135 was a bad year.
I wish I could have been alive to taste freedom.
Facing my palm, I read the mark. SLAVE was under a bunch of lines. Papa said it was like a grocery label, whatever that was.
I sighed.
I was marked.
It was impossible for me to escape.
Everyone looks for the mark. It’s just what happens.
You can’t enter the war with the mark.
America’s army was shrinking, and I couldn’t help them.
I glanced over my shoulder again. I saw the Korean master hollering at a little boy. Maybe five years old?
I stopped the bluck and tried to listen.
“You little idiot! You know not to do that! Dig! Get up!” He pulled out his stick.
I winced when he pushed the button and the metal ropes spilled from the top with sharp, broken glass.
And he started to beat the boy.
I dropped the bluck’s remote and struggled over to the beating session.
Jumping in front of the whip, I clenched the boy to my stomach.
It stung.
It hurt.
But I swallowed my pain and stayed.
The master stopped and cursed in Korean.
He shouted at me to move, but I stayed on my knees, hugging the child to my stomach—ready for more lashes.
After more shouts, He whipped me more. The child beneath me sobbed. My jaw was clenched, I tried to talk to the boy, but it was impossible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As you probably guessed, yes, it's from Slaved. Like actually. I revised it a little to make this scene fit within the 300 word mark (and it's exactly 300 words). I somehow managed to cut a whole ten words (it was actually probably more because I added a lot...) Anyway. I hope you like it! :)

abrielle lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!!! comment however many times you want!!!! i wont mind at all!!!!!

Keep your comment Godly, or they won't be published!!!!

And keep in mind:::::

Gracious words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
~Proverbs 16: 24~


~Abrielle Lindsay